Latest News

Wesley Featured on Second Cinema...Read More

Jackman Receives Gold Telly...Read More

Regional Premieres Are Being Scheduled!...Read More

Recording of Score Featured in Greensboro News & Record...Read More

Recording of the Score Completed!...Read More

Why Foundery Pictures?

Foundery Pictures borrows its name from The Foundery in Moorfields, England, the building which served as the headquarters for the early Methodist Movement. 

During the War of the Spanish Succession [1702-1713], cannon captured from the Spaniards’ French allies by the Duke of Marlborough were brought to England and stored at the Government Foundery in Windmill Hill, near Moorfields in London. In 1716 during the recasting of some of these cannon, there was a massive explosion which blew off part of the roof and damaged the building beyond economic repair. Many  workmen were killed in the blast . A new Foundery  [or Arsenal] was built at Woolwich while the damaged building stood as an unoccupied ruin for more than 20 years.    

The Foundery in MoorfieldsOn November 11th, 1739  John Wesley preached on the site of the derelict Foundery building. In his Journal for that day he wrote, “ I preached at 5 in the evening to 7 or 8000 in the place which had been the King’s Foundery for Cannon.” Afterwards he was prevailed upon to buy the lease for which he was loaned £115. To rebuild “this vast uncouth heap of ruins” would cost £700. John borrowed the money from friends but 3 years later he still owed £300, over ten times his annual salary from his Fellowship at Lincoln College.

On July 23rd ,1740 the first meeting of the Methodist Society was held in the refurbished  Foundery - this could be described as the day when the Methodist Church began.

The Foundery quickly became a great missionary centre in London - it was a preaching house, a centre for the distribution of clothing for the poor,a surgery and dispensary [it was the first free dispensary to be set up in London in 1746], and a centre that helped aged widows.  Later John reconditioned 2 small houses nearby which became almshouses for 9 widows and lodgings for 4or 5 of his travelling preachers.